Product Code: L4C09802
To celebrate this Centenary of Powered Flight, the Isle of Man Government has approved the release of two superb crowns which portray the evolution of flight from 1903, through the intervening years to the present day.
Just one century ago, a flimsy flying machine - designed, built and flown by the remarkable Wright Brothers clawed its way into the air above the sands of North Carolina for the first twelve seconds and 120ft of powered flight. From Fragile contraptions of wood, canvas and string, the aeroplane would swiftly develop into ever larger, faster, sleeker machines. The Isle of Man has marked this pivotal moment in aviation history with two magnificent coins. The first covers the period of 1903-1919 and the second IOM coin depicts aircrafts from 1939 through to the present day commemorating Concorde in colour on the silver issues.
The aircraft shown on this coin are:
- The Spirit of Louis, the Ryan monoplane in which Charles Lindbergh completed the first solo non-stop transatlantic flight from 20th-21st May 1927.
- The Graf Zeppelin, which completed the first round-the-world airship flight in 1929.
- A Comet of B.O.A.C., which completed the first transatlantic jet passenger service from New York to London on 4th October 1958.
- Concorde, which is the world’s only supersonic passenger aircraft and started the first regular scheduled supersonic flights in 1976.
Available in cupro nickel, proof sterling silver and proof fine 1/5oz gold, the precious metal versions are struck four times and feature frosted high relief sculpting against a mirror brilliant background. The obverse of each coin bears a fine effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Ian Rank-Broadley FRBS FSNAD.
|Metal||Uncirculated Cupro Nickel|
Pobjoy Mint aims to dispatch all in stock items within 48 hours.
UK (Including Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey) delivery charges:
- FREE Standard UK Delivery - 3-5 business days
- £8.99 - Next Day Delivery (When ordered before 1:00pm)
- £11.22 - Next Day Delivery Saturday (Guaranteed by 1.30pm)
- £19.26 - Next Day Delivery Saturday (Guaranteed by 9.30am)
Europe (Excl United Kingdom) delivery charges:
- £0 - £59.99 £5.00
- £60.00 - £149.99 £7.50
- £150.00 - £300.00 £10.00
- £301.00 - £799.99 £15.00
- £800.00 - £4999.99 £25.00
Rest of the World delivery charges:
- £0 - £300.00 £15.00
- £301.00 - £799.99 £20.00
- £800.00 - £1249.99 £50.00
- £1250.00 - £2999.99 £80.00
- £3000.00 - £4999.99+ £100.00
For more details on postage charges please see our Delivery Information page.
You may also like