Sierra Leone 2007 - Animals of Africa Part III - Elephant - Cupro Nickel
- 2007 Uncirculated Cupro Nickel $1
- Issued on behalf of Sierra Leone
- Issue: Unlimited
- Unique presentation pouch
Pobjoy Mint is proud to announce the release of part III of the very successful African Animals series which began in 2005. Each year four coins have been released which depict some of the endangered animals that live on the plains and in the forests of Africa. Endangerment is an issue which involves the habitats and environments of these amazing creatures and, although some measures are being taken to help specific cases of endangerment, the universal problem will not be solved until the natural environments where these endangered species live are protected.
The Sierra Leone Government is party to environmental agreements to aid endangered species. This vibrant collection shows each animal in its natural habitat and features the following four animals:
- The Rhinoceros – Endangered because poachers hunt them for their horns and then sell them on the black market. By 1984 there were only 9,000 Black Rhinos remaining and these numbers continue to decline. In 1994 the White Rhinos were second on the Top Ten Most Endangered Species list but has recovered in the last 10 years.
- African Elephant – The African Elephant is vulnerable because it is attacked by poachers who covet its tusks of ivory to sell to make ornaments and jewellery. Elephants cannot breed until they are fourteen years old and pregnancies last for two years, they are unable to breed quickly enough to replace all the elephants that are being killed.
- Zebra – The Cape Mountain Zebra is only found in two reserves in the mountains in the southern Cape Providence. Poachers hunt these animals as game and their habitat is also being invaded by an increasing population of humans.
- Cheetah – Mainly found in Southern Africa, the Cheetah is vulnerable because it is hunted for its fur and its habitat is being destroyed. There are now less than 25,000 Cheetahs in Africa.
• Legal Tender coins from Sierra Leone • Available in Proof Sterling Silver and Unc. Cupro Nickel Africa has some of the most abundant wildlife and with the great success of the African Animals series which began in 2005, the Republic of Sierra Leone has added a further four coins to this enchanting series. Each year four coins have been released which depict some of the endangered animals that live on the plains and forests of Africa. Endangerment is an issue which involves the habitats and environments of these amazing creatures. Although some measures are being taken to help specific cases of endangerment, the universal problem will not be solved until the natural environments where these endangered species live are protected. These four new coins depict four magnificent creatures in their native habitats and are the perfect addition to your 2005 and 2006 collections, or make a great collection on their own. All sets come in Uncirculated Cupro Nickel and Proof Sterling Silver.
|Coin Year||2005 - 2009|
|Coin Metal||Cupro Nickel|
|Metal||Uncirculated Cupro Nickel|
Pobjoy Mint aims to dispatch all in stock items within 48 hours.
USA delivery charges:
- $0 - $69.99 = $5.00
- $70.00-$149.99 = $8.00
- $150.00-$229.99 = $10.00
- $230.00-$499.99 = $15.00
- $500.00-$749.99 = $20.00
- $750.00-$999.99 = $25.00
- $1000 - $4999.99 = $35.00
- $5,000 + = $50.00
North and South America (Excl USA) delivery charges:
$0 - $49.99 = $10.00
$50.00-$99.99 = $20.00
$100.00-$199.99 = $30.00
$200.00-$499.99 = $40.00
$500.00-$999.99 = $50.00
$1000 - $4999.99 + = 100.00
UPDATE 01/09/21 FOR BRAZIL AND PERU: delivering to Brazil and Peru is temporarily enabled but with restrictions. Due to covid19 local postal services are having issues delivering to certain locations within these two countries and some parcels are getting lost. We are working towards finding a solution but in the meantime, we cannot guarantee safe delivery, the purchase is at buyer's discretion.
For more details on postage charges please see our Delivery Information page.