Sierra Leone 2011 - Endangered Primates: Agile Gibbon - Uncirculated Cupro Nickel
- 2011 Uncirculated Cupro Nickel
- Issued on behalf of Sierra Leone
- Issue: Unlimited
- Unique presentation pouch
- Also available as: Proof Sterling Silver
Primates are our closest cousins and to highlight the plight of some of the endangered primates, Pobjoy Mint has issued a series of collector's coins on behalf of the Bank of Sierra Leone featuring some of these amazing animals.
Within the series, this stunning uncirculated cupro nickel coin features the Agile Gibbon which, like all gibbons, is tailless. They predominantly live in rain forests and very rarely venture to the ground.
Each coin features a beautiful stylised image of each primate in its natural habitat and are available in Cupro Nickel and Proof Sterling Silver with each proof coin struck four times to create the Pobjoy proof finish, displaying finely sculpted frosted detail contrasting with mirror brilliant background.Show more
There are many different species of Primates in the world, including apes, monkeys and humans! Many primate species are now in danger of extinction, primarily caused by deforestation and hunting. Many of these primates remain a constant fascination to people across the world.
Each coin in this series of six shows a different species and the complete set spans three years.
- The Capuchin Monkey (2009) – named after an order of Friars because of their appearance, these small monkeys only reach a height of 22 inches with tails that are just as long.
- The Diana Monkey (2009) – generally black or dark grey, this primate has a crescent shaped browband which gave it its name, since it was believed to resemble the bow of the goddess Diana.
- The Orangutan (2010) – this reddish-brown primate is among the most intelligent of the species. The name comes from the Malay words ‘orang’ (man) and ‘(h)utan’ (forest) translating as ‘man of the forest’. The largest males have an arm span of about 2 metres.
- The Chimpanzee (2010) – the Chimpanzee is the closest living relative to humans. They are extremely intelligent and make tools to help them acquire food.
- The Agile Gibbon (2011) – this Gibbon, like all gibbons, is tailless. They predominantly live in rain forests and very rarely venture to the ground. Their long arms mean they can swing from branch to branch very quickly.
- The Mountain Gorilla (2011) – this gorilla is highly social and lives in groups held together by long-term bonds between the males and females. Groups can vary from five to thirty with the dominant silverback as the leader.
|Coin Metal||Cupro Nickel|
|Metal||Uncirculated Cupro Nickel|
Pobjoy Mint aims to dispatch all in stock items within 48 hours.
USA delivery charges:
- $0 - $69.99 = $5.00
- $70.00-$149.99 = $8.00
- $150.00-$229.99 = $10.00
- $230.00-$499.99 = $15.00
- $500.00-$749.99 = $20.00
- $750.00-$999.99 = $25.00
- $1000 - $4999.99 = $35.00
- $5,000 + = $50.00
North and South America (Excl USA) delivery charges:
- $0 - $49.99 $7.50
- $50.00-$99.99 $15.00
- $100.00-$199.99 $20.00
- $200.00-$499.99 $30.00
- $500.00-$999.99 $50.00
- $1000 - $4999.99 + $100.00
For more details on postage charges please see our Delivery Information page.